What is Cosmetology?
Cosmetology is the study and application of beauty treatment. It is the science which focuses on making people look good. It comprises many branches which include beauty therapy and treatments for face, hair, body and overall health care.
Who is a Cosmetologist?
A cosmetologist is an expert in makeup, skin care and beauty products. He or she provides beauty services that include cosmetic care for hair, skin and body.
The field of cosmetology includes various occupations like hairstylist and hairdresser, beautician, skin care specialist, aesthetician, nail technician, etc. How to become a Cosmetologist? Students who are interested to become a cosmetologist need to obtain certain educational and licensing requirements. With the right educational qualification and license, cosmetologists can work in several industries and may also be self-employed.
Educational requirements to become a Cosmetologist:
What are the job roles of a cosmetologist?
- Though there is no formal qualification mandatory to become a cosmetologist, although, many industries will require you to attend a cosmetology school and be at-least 16 years of age.
- There are various diploma and other courses with specialisations that may result in earning an associate degree.
- Many polytechnics and vocational institutes offer courses in beauty care/cosmetology.
- Most people in this field continue to take courses that help them stay in line with the latest trends.
- The job roles range from the regular haircut, hair wash, perming, styling, colouring, and hair extensions to manicure, pedicure and facials
- It also includes applying makeup to spa and steam bath treatments
- Any job in the beauty industry with an intention to treat beauty related problems or abnormalities to restore natural appearance or to make people look good is done by a cosmetologist
- Some are trained to administer medications for chronic conditions
What is the scope in the field of cosmetology?
The career possibility in the industry of beauty is endless. This industry offers various careers for these professionals to excel and grow.
- It is a lucrative career option with earnings increasing with experience and reputation
- Trained cosmetologists find well paid jobs in beauty parlours, high-end salons and in luxurious hotels/resorts
- Makeup professionals are always in demand in television and film industries
- Also, they are in demand in the world of fashion
- Other options are being an image consultant, writing books or articles and teaching
Top colleges/universities in India for Cosmetology:
- National and Regional Vocational Training Institutes for Women (Ministry of Labour, Govt. of India) in Delhi, Noida, Allahabad, Mumbai, Kolkata, Vadodra, Hissar, Indore, Trivandrum, Tura.
- YWCA centres in major cities (www.ywcaindia.org)
- VLCC Institute of Beauty, Health & Management, branches across the country - (www.vlccnet.com)
- Shahnaz Husain's Women's World International, branches and franchises across the country (www.shahnaz.in)
- Habib's Hair Academy, branches and franchises across the country (www.habibs.org.in)
Top colleges/universities abroad for Cosmetology:
- Empire Beauty School, Lauderhill, FL, USA
- A.B.I. School of Barbering & Cosmetology New York, NY , USA
- Aaron's Academy of Beauty, Waldorf, MD, USA
- Saint Paul College, Minnesota, USA
- Maryland Community College, Spruce Pine, North Carolina, USA